ISSUE #18 CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS!
Stonecoast Review will be open for submissions from July 20, 2022 to October 1, 2022.
We support the Stonecoast community's goal to promote inclusivity, equity, and social justice through writing.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE SUBMITTING: We accept fiction, pop (genre) fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, dramatic works, experimental, and visual art. We can’t wait to see your best pieces! Stonecoast Review offers feedback on 10% of declined submissions. Contributors will receive a complimentary copy of the issue in which their work appears. Stonecoast Review acquires First Serial Rights and First Electronic Rights for all work published in the journal. Rights revert to the author upon publication.
Our staff is a group of volunteers, all either current Stonecoast MFA Program students or alumni of the program. We rely upon donations to cover advertising, website, and printing costs. To support the Stonecoast Review, please consider donating or purchasing a copy from stonecoastreview.org!
- When submitting your work, include a short cover letter and bio (50 words maximum). Submissions are only accepted through Submittable.
- We accept only one prose submission, one poetry submission (of up to three poems), or ten pieces of visual art per author, per submission cycle.
- Submitted work must be previously unpublished, unless you are a Stonecoast MFA alum. We will reprint works by Stonecoast alumni.
- To more fully commit to our value of elevating socially marginalized voices and emerging writers, the Stonecoast Review will no longer implement the policy of “blind submissions.” The practice was once believed to support the unbiased judgment of submissions by withholding the author’s identity from the reviewer. Beginning with Issue 18, all first readers will have access to the cover letters and names of submitting authors. The Stonecoast Review gives privileged attention to the works of Black, Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQ+ and Disabled authors and emerging writers. We invite more established writers to submit and join our efforts in elevating needed voices.
- We encourage simultaneous submissions, but please withdraw your submission immediately if accepted elsewhere. If you submit multiple poems and one is accepted elsewhere, please attach a note on Submittable identifying the poem that is no longer available.
- Your work must use standard manuscript format: double spaced, 12 pt., Times New Roman font. Poetry may be single spaced. However, if a divergence from these rules is integral to your piece, we will still consider it.
Fiction and Pop (Genre) Fiction: Limit submissions to 5,000 words or fewer.
Creative Nonfiction: Limit submissions to 5,000 words or fewer.
Poetry: Limit submissions to 3 poems, with no more than 50 lines each.
Dramatic Works: Limit submissions to 12 or fewer pages.
Visual Art: Limit to five images. We seek visual images for the Issue #18 cover and interior. We welcome experimental and unusual art forms. We accept 2D digital images of all forms of fine art—photography, sculpture, painting, and mixed media. Please send high-res digital images (no lower than 300 dpi) in JPG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, or RAW file format. (NOTE: Except for the front and back cover of Issue #18, all accepted visual art will be printed in black and white.)